In a blue post on the Blizzard forums (see "(Sticky) Transmogrification Rules") Community Manager Kaivax took time to give further clarifications on the rules for transmogrification. For those of us who are excited about the possibilities of transmogrification and have been running old content and/or collecting gear these rules could be a big help. We don't waste time getting gear that ultimately won't be usable for mogging (*cough* Dark Herring *cough*).
Head after the jump where we provide all the rules as well as give our thoughts.
Here are all the current mogging rules from the original post from Kaivax. (Emphasis added.)
Since we announced the transmogrification feature coming to World of Warcraft with patch 4.3, we have monitored thousands of follow-up comments, questions and suggestions from players all over the world.
What follows is our current list of rules for transmogrification. This is a set of rules that we expect to change over time, and is not intended to be 100% comprehensive, but we hope that it can be referenced to answer most questions that players currently have about what they can and cannot expect to be able to do with transmogrification,
• The character must be able to equip both items.Further down in the thread Kaivax makes a few more clarifications.
• Only common (green), rare (blue) or epic (purple) items may be transmogrified. (exceptions: a select few of these items will prevented from being used to transmogrify if they are inappropriate)
• Items must share the same armor type (examples: plate for plate, cloth for cloth)
• Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, wCrossbows, or Bows)
• Guns, Crossbows, and Bows can be used to transmogrify Guns, Crossbows, or Bows.
• Main hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Main hand weapons.
• Off-hand weapons can only be used to transmogrify Off-hand weapons.
• One handed weapons can be used to transmogrify a Main hand or Off-hand weapon.
• Using an item for transmogrify makes it soulbound.
• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-refundable.
• Using an item for transmogrify makes it non-tradable.
• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be transmogrified.
• Heirlooms and Account Bound items can be used to transmogrify.
• Legendary items cannot be transmogrified.
• Legendary items cannot be used to transmogrify.
• Fishing Poles cannot be transmogrified.
• Fishing Poles cannot be used to transmogrify.
• Mailing an item strips its transmogrification.
• Placing an item in Void Storage strips its transmogrification.
• Vendoring an item strips its transmogrification.
• The displayed enchant will be that of the currently equipped item.
• There may be individual items that are excluded from being transmogrified on the basis that they were originally added to the game as absurdities. (examples: a weapon that looks like a fish, or a chest piece that is invisible)
Lohida: I've heard people claiming you can only do weapons to another weapon of the same stats type. Like only spellpower swords to spellpower swords and AGI swords to AGI swords. Is that a restriction or no?
Kaivax: At this time, that is not a restriction at all.
All in all nothing too surprising. Glad to have some clarifications on one-handed/main hand/off hand weapons. While I am a little disappointed I won't be able to dual wield Sun Eater's it makes me happy that any one-handed weapon I own can always be used to mog my dual-wielder's weapons regardless if they are main hand/off hand or one-handed. My rogue is especially happy about this.
It is also is nice that we will be able to use heirloom items *to* mog with. Some of the older set items are quite iconic (I love the look of the cloth heirloom headpiece.) I think the mail intellect heirloom set might be quite popular with shaman.
Reading these guidelines make me even more excited for patch 4.3 and transmogrification. 4.3 can't come soon enough.
(PS. Does anyone have ant idea which item is the "chest piece that is invisible"? Never heard of it before but now they got me curious. Ah hah! Further down in the thread poster Solderberg lets us know the chest in questions is Sandrene's Invisible Vest.)
(PPS. It should also be noted that while Kaivax calls "green" items "common", items with their name in green text are actually labeled "uncommon". "Common" items have their names in white text. Nitpick I know but I like to stay consistent.)